Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is what my French Canadian Mom used to call Goulash, no tomato, just lots of beef & veggies in a beef gravy base. My Mom always served it with elbow macaroni, but I like to use egg noodles. Its a simple recipe, but everyone I've ever made this for just loves it!
- 680.38 g egg noodles, the best brand you can buy
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large stalk celery, chopped (including leaves)
- 0.25 ml red pepper flakes
- 453.59 g lean ground beef (the leaner the better)
- 44.37 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 14.79 ml fresh oregano, minced
- 453.59 g frozen peas and carrot, thawed
- 14.79 ml mild paprika
- 9.85 ml garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 297.66 g jarfat-free beef gravy
- In large pot, cook egg noodles in boiling salted water until al dente, drain and set noodles aside.
- In the empty pot, heat olive oil and saute onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and celery until onion is translucent.
- Add ground beef, parsley, oregano, paprika, garlic powder, salt, & pepper. Cook until meat is almost done (don't drain), then add peas & carrots and beef gravy.
- Cook until beef is done, then taste and adjust seasonings according to your preference.
- Toss cooked egg noodles in and coat well.
- Serve hot.
This a was very good and very different from anything I have ever made, but was lacking some zip. I think maybe next time I would add more red pepper rather than just a dash. I am usually a wimp when it come to adding red pepper to dishes, but maybe because of the amount of servings, maybe a 1/4 teaspoon would be good. I also needed to add salt & pepper to my portion. But, those are only minor changes, and I will definitely make this again! I made for PAC Spring 2010.
Very easy to put together and delicious.Hubby said next time to serve him mash potatoes with it.