1/9 Photos of Family Favorite Basic Meatballs
Muffin Goddess's Note:
I found this recipe in a cooking magazine that I pick up occasionally. My family loves these with pasta, and they're great in meatball subs with fresh tomato sauce (recipe posted separately). No frying required, either.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated (Romano may be substituted. For best flavor, splurge on a chunk of cheese rather than use the caniste)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup beef broth (the low sodium variety is recommended)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (fresh, not dried)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper (I recommend fresh ground for better flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I usually cut this in half since most of my family is very spice-sensitive)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (fresh grated is best)
- 2 lbs ground chuck (80-85% is good. I don't recommend using very low fat beef for these, they won't have the right textu)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Stir together first 13 ingredients (bread crumbs to nutmeg) in a large bowl.
- 3Add the meat and mix thoroughly (I use a fork to mix, to prevent overhandling the meat). Shape meat mixture into 2-inch balls, approximately 1 1/2 oz each by weight (I like to use a #30 scoop to portion them out, then I roll them into balls by hand).
- 4Spray a shallow pan (such as a baking sheet with an edge all around) with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs on the prepared pan, taking care not to crowd them or let them touch).
- 5Pour the 1 cup of beef broth into the bottom of the pan (make sure bottom of pan is covered). Bake for 25 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- 6Reserve the pan juices to make the tomato sauce (recipe posted separately).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Favorite Basic Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (1793 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.0 mg
- Sodium 368.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 7.6 g