1/9 Photos of Family Favorite Basic Meatballs
Muffin Goddess's Note:
I found this recipe in a cooking magazine that I pick up occasionally. My family loves these with pasta, and they're great in meatball subs with fresh tomato sauce (recipe posted separately). No frying required, either.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated (Romano may be substituted. For best flavor, splurge on a chunk of cheese rather than use the caniste)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup beef broth (the low sodium variety is recommended)
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley (fresh, not dried)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper (I recommend fresh ground for better flavor)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I usually cut this in half since most of my family is very spice-sensitive)
- 1 pinch nutmeg (fresh grated is best)
- 2 lbs ground chuck (80-85% is good. I don't recommend using very low fat beef for these, they won't have the right textu)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- 2Stir together first 13 ingredients (bread crumbs to nutmeg) in a large bowl.
- 3Add the meat and mix thoroughly (I use a fork to mix, to prevent overhandling the meat). Shape meat mixture into 2-inch balls, approximately 1 1/2 oz each by weight (I like to use a #30 scoop to portion them out, then I roll them into balls by hand).
- 4Spray a shallow pan (such as a baking sheet with an edge all around) with nonstick cooking spray. Place meatballs on the prepared pan, taking care not to crowd them or let them touch).
- 5Pour the 1 cup of beef broth into the bottom of the pan (make sure bottom of pan is covered). Bake for 25 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through.
- 6Reserve the pan juices to make the tomato sauce (recipe posted separately).
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Family Favorite Basic Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (1793 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 106.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 42.0 mg
- Sodium 368.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 7.6 g