Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Macaroni noodles combined with a veggie and meat tomato sauce, topped with cheese and baked.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (284 ml) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa
- 1 (680 ml) can tomato sauce
- 1 (284 ml) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock (lower sodium)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 450 g macaroni noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (I use mozza cheddar blend)
- Heat oil in large skillet, or soup pot. Brown beef, drain fat. Add onions, celery and garlic, cook until tender, about 5 minutes Add mushrooms, stewed tomatoes, chicken stock and tomato sauce. Add spices, mix well.
- Simmer uncovered over low heat 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350.Boil water, cook pasta as directed on package, drain.
- Mix sauce with pasta, transfer to 9X13 baking dish, sprinkle with parmesan then mozza cheddar cheese blend. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
There are alot of goulash recipes out there... what I enjoyed about this one is the addition of the salsa & the cheese topping that I broiled for the last 5 mins so it baked onto abit more. I had homemade marinara sauce to use so I sub'd it for 1 cup of t.sauce. I also added abit of chopped green peppers. I'm cutting carbs so I only used 11 oz pasta & in turn I doubled the amt of beef. The only other thing I'd change next time is to leave the pasta abit undercooked before adding to the meat/sauce for oven cooking. Very easy & tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.