Recipe by Elmotoo
After loosely trying various recipes, this is the combination that worked for my family. It is spicy enough for dh abut not so blazing that the kids won't eat it. THE PICKY ONE had 5 tacos!! Dh's comment, "you've made this a few times before but this one I LIKE." You can use vegetable broth to keep it vegetarian or use chicken or beef. You can use a can of diced tomatoes (regular or Rotel) instead of taco sauce or salsa but it will take a bit longer to cook because of the added liquid. This made enough for our family of 4 to have 3-4 tacos each with just a little bit left over.
Top Review by Starrynews
Yum, these are great! Nice little kick from the chipotle. I served with homemade guacamole, sour cream, salsa, and cheese. Generous portions - we've already had 4 servings and still have a good amount left, I'm guessing we'll end up with about 8 servings for us. Thanks for sharing! Veggie Swap 48
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
- 2 cups brown lentils
- 4 cups broth
- 1⁄2 cup taco sauce or 1⁄2 cup salsa
- taco shell, hard & soft
- shredded cheese
- diced tomato
- iceberg lettuce, shredded
- sour cream
- onion, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saute pan, heat oil. Add onion, sprinkle with salt, stir & saute until softened. Add garlic & stir.
- Stir in taco seasoning, oregano & chipotle.
- Add lentils & broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 30 minutes until lentils are soft & most liquid is reduced. You want saucy, not soupy, lentils.
- Check for seasoning.
- Heat taco shells & fill as desired.