Prep 42 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Family Circle magazine. This chicken pot pie recipe is low in fat, calories, and sodium, but still has so much flavor. It's a much healthier version of traditional chicken/turkey pot pie. The only thing I did differently was that I used turkey, a little more salt and pepper, peas in place of green beans, and I used 2 cans of low-fat crescent rolls because I couldn't find phyllo dough. I put one can of the crescent rolls on the bottom of the greased pan and baked at 350°F for a little over 20 minutes until golden brown, put the pot pie mixture in it, and then used the other can to top the mixture and baked at 350°F for 20 minutes. You can either follow the recipe if you wish or you can try the variation that I used. Hope you like this as much as we did!
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat-free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups baby carrots, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350°F Coat a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cook 8 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time. Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining oil, onion and celery; cook 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and flour and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, remaining salt and pepper. Cover; cook on medium-low, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, parsley, and sage. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Unroll phyllo. Place 1 sheet on top of chicken mixture; lightly coating with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the cheese. Repeat layering. Tuck edges of phyllo inside rim of baking dish.
- Place baking dish on a baking sheet; bake at 350°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
This is a great recipe! I also used turkey in place of chicken - and instead of crescent rolls/phyllo dough, I just made a quick crust of flour, butter & stock. I also replaced the green beans with peas. I put them into individual dishes and covered the top with the dough. I let them cool, then covered with foil and froze them. I then can reheat the in the microwave or oven and they were TERRIFIC!!!! Thanks!
Great recipe. I used the phyllo and took some shortcuts with frozen veggies and no potatoes. I also used non-fat half and half instead of milk. Thanks for posting this great recipe!
This recipe was delicious. I followed the recipe exactly.