Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This soup is so yummy & much quicker to put together than stove-top soup. This one is even a hit with my 19 month old daughter & not much is these days. Real comfort food for a cold autumn or winters day!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, peeled & chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & chopped
- 1 potato, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled & chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 440 g creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- Place oil in a large microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add bacon, onion and garlic, cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in vegetables, (except corn) and stock. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes Stir in corn.
- Blend flour with milk to a smooth paste. Stir into soup. Cook uncovered for 6-8 ins or until thickened.
- Stir in parsley & seasonings. Sprinkle with parmesan & serve with crusty bread.
- Optional - Swirl in cream before serving.
This is a nice, flavorful soup that is quick to make, even though I did not use the microwave. I ended up making this on the stove-top, and it was so easy. The chowder is quite thick (as it should be) and has a sweet taste from the corn. I think the sweet potato was a really nice touch. Thanks for sharing this.
Yummy! I have to admit to making a few changes. I left out the sweet potato and added 500g marinara mix at the end of cooking. I also popped in a few bay leaves at the beginning. I also made it on the stovetop but it was easily converted. Thanks!
This was a good soup. I added some more spices (thyme, hot sauce, seasoning salt). It was quick to make but my boys didn't like the bacon in it because they felt it wasn't done. Next time we make this we will leave it out.