Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Fallen Chocolate Torte with Coffee Cream
- 8 egg whites
- 1 dash salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shaved chocolate curls
- Separate eggs and allow whites to stand about one hour at room temperature; add salt and beat until stiff and glossy, but not dry. Sift sugar and cocoa together and set aside. Add vanilla to egg yolks and beat until stiff and lemon colored; blend in combined sugar and cocoa, then beat again until very thick. Fold in egg whites blending well and carefully; push the batter into ungreased 9" spring form pan and bake in 350 degree oven for 40 to 45 minutes until set. Do not open the oven door while baking.
- Remove from oven and place on rack to cool. The center will fall. Fill with Coffee Cream and border with a sprinkling of chocolate curls. Remove rim from pan.
- This cake can be made an hour in advance and refrigerated. It is delectable.
- Coffee Cream.
- Fold all ingredients together mix until firm peaks. The whip cream can be flavored with a substitute for coffee, such as mint, liqueurs, rum etc.
- Chocolate Curls.
- With a vegetable peeler, shave thin strips from a bar of semisweet or dark chocolate.