720 hrs 10 mins
Based on a recipe from Sir Hugh Plat's "Delightes for Ladies" (1609), although he wouldn't have used vanilla or allspice, which are both New World foods and not commonly found in Europe until after 1750.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups apple juice or 2 1/4 cups apple cider
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange rind, dried
- 1 cup white brandy
- 1/2 cup vodka, 100 proof
- 1Bring brown sugar, white sugar and apple juice to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Add cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and orange peel.
- 3Boil for 4 minutes and remove from heat.
- 4Let stand until just warm.
- 5Transfer to a clean 1 qt aging vessel.
- 6Add vanilla, brandy and vodka.
- 7Cover tightly and let stand for 1-4 weeks.
- 8Filter through paper towels or coffee filters (you'll get a clearer product with coffee filters, but it's a lot slower), then pour into tight-sealing, pretty bottles.
- 9Makes a great holiday gift.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fall Spice Cordial
Serving Size: 1 (139 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.1
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 8.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 33.4 g
- Protein 0.0 g