Recipe by "Food:The Way To Anyone's Heart"
This recipe is from Emeril Lagasse. In Rhode Island and in Fall River you can find Chow Mein sandwiches. I know--sounds strange. I prefer just the chow mein. Fall River is Emeril's home growing up and where my aunt & uncle lived.
- 1⁄4 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or 3 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Kitchen Bouquet, gravy enhancer for color only (recommended ( Kitchen Bouquet) (optional)
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark corn syrup
- 1 cup diagonally sliced celery, about 1/4-inch thick
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Fall River Chow Mein Noodles
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 4 sheets egg roll wraps, cut into thin strips (about 1/8 to 1/4-inch wide each)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with the boiling water.
- Allow mushrooms to stand for 5 minutes, or until slightly softened.
- Remove mushrooms and reserve for another use.
- Reserve 1/3 cup of the mushroom-soaking liquid.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of the onions and cook until slightly softened but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and celery salt and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of the beef broth and the reserved mushroom-soaking liquid and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/2 cup beef broth, cornstarch, gravy enhancer, and soy sauce.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and the corn syrup to the saucepan and return the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until the gravy is slightly thickened.
- Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a medium wok, heat the remaining vegetable oil over high heat.
- Add the remaining onions and the celery and cook until softened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cook until chicken is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Ladle 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the reduced gravy mixture into the chicken mixture, tossing to coat well, and remove from the heat.
- Place Fall River Chow Mein Noodles in the bottom of a dish and top with the chicken mixture.
- Ladle gravy over the chicken and noodles and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- Fall River Chow Mein Noodles:.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet or pan with deep sides until it reaches 350 degrees F.
- Fry the strips of egg roll wrappers in the hot oil, 30 seconds to 1 minute, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from the heat with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve with Emeril's Fall River Chow Mein.