Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
The mellow flavor of pears makes this a great Pie!
- 8 cups pears, thinly sliced and peeled
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine pears, sugar, tapioca and nutmeg. Line a pie plate with bottom crust; add pear mixture. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut large slits in top. Place over filling; seal and flute edges. Brush with egg. Bake at 375 degrees for 55-60 minutes or until the pears are tender. Remove to a wire rack. Pour cream through slits if desired.