Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 18 mins
Man O Man, is this ever good, the coleslaw is awesome on this sandwich! I add 3 cloves of minced garlic. I can see this meat over some pasta as well, so not just for a sandwich! I took another reviewer's advice on the Food Network site and turned my oven up to 400 degrees after the 90 minutes of cooking (on 375 degrees) and continued to cook the meat for an additional hour. Next time I would make double the ribs, so we have some leftovers. This is adapted from Food Network, Big Daddy's show. Hope you enjoy!
- 6 (4 ounce) beef short ribs
- kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 4 cups beef stock
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 4 brioche bread or 4 ciabatta buns
- kicked up Coleslaw, recipe follows
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat, add the oil. Sear the ribs on all sides until well colored and slightly charred. Remove the ribs from pan to a plate and set aside.
- Over medium-low heat, add the onions to the Dutch oven and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the red wine and vinegar and reduce liquid by half.
- Stir in the tomatoes, stock and fresh herbs.
- Add the short ribs and cover the pot. Put in the oven and cook until meat is fork tender, about 90 minutes.
- Remove from oven, transfer the short ribs to a large bowl and shred the meat.
- Assemble the sandwiches on brioche buns with slaw.
- Skim the fat from the cooking liquid, strain into a serving bowl and use for dipping the sandwiches.
- Kicked Up Cole Slaw:
- 1 (16-ounce) package shredded cole slaw mix
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 2 green onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Several dashes hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch kosher salt
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients. Allow to sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve on top of sandwiches.