5 hrs 30 mins
Although I did not submit a recipe for the Category Craze-E contest, the wonderful list of ingredients begged me to cook along with other members. This hearty soup includes an assortment of fall/winter vegetables and small turkey meatballs. This would also work well as a vegetarian meal using two 14 oz cans of chickpeas or one 19 ounce can of the same instead, along with vegetable broth. Curry powders vary immensely in their flavor intensity and spiciness so the measurements here serve as a guide. Use your own preferences to make the decision.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14.79 ml fresh ginger, minced
- 2 stalk celery, cut 1/4 inch thick
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick coins
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick coins
- 473.18 ml butternut squash, cubed in 3/4 to 1 inch pieces
- 226.79-283.49 g potatoes, peeled and cubed in 3/4 to 1 inch pieces
- 411.06 g can tomatoes and green chilies
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 473.18 ml chicken broth
- 9.85-14.78 ml curry powder
- 2.46 ml garam masala
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 340.19 g lean ground turkey (do not use regular ground turkey as it will be far too oily) or 340.19 g ground turkey breast (do not use regular ground turkey as it will be far too oily)
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2.46 ml garam masala
- 78.07 ml oats (coarse chopped or ground)
- 1Mix together the onions, garlic, ginger, celery, parsnips, carrots, butternut and potatoes and place in the bottom of the crock pot. Pour in the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- 2Place the broth, curry powder, gaaram masala and cayenne (if using) in a small sauce pan and bring to a light boil. Set aside.
- 3Mix together all of the ingredients for the meatballs together. Form into small 1 inch meatballs. I used a cookie dough scoop to get a uniform size. Place the meatballs in the crock pot in a single layer. If possible -- my cooker is very large so it was easy -- try and have the meatballs not touch.
- 4Pour the warm broth over the meatballs. Cover and cook at high for 4-6 hours. (Yes, you can peek after two hours but let the heat cook the meat first.).
- 5Give the soup a good stir before serving.
- 7Contest ingredients: celery, carrots, parsnips, butternut, ground turkey, curry powder & oats.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fall in My Crock Pot and Curry Me over (Ww Core)
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.2
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 1232.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: