Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe tastes like pumpkin pie in a glass! You will never know it is packed with veggies and fruits and "good for you stuff". Top with a little fat free whip cream for an extra-special desert. My teen-age daughter begs for this and sometimes we even heat it up for a thick soup. The key to this recipe is to make sure you use a blender/smoothie maker that has enough power to completely puree alll the ingredients; otherwise the squash will stay stringy.
- 1⁄2 acorn squash (steamed, seeded, cooled and peeled)
- 2⁄3 cup pumpkin (unsweetened)
- 1 golden delicious apple, unpeeled and cored
- 2 raw carrots, chopped (do not peel)
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 2⁄3 cup apple juice (unsweetened)
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (or your own combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ginger)
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Chop up steamed squash into cubes
- (To steam the squash quickly, cut the acorn squash in half. Remove seeds. Place in a microwave safe bowl upside down -so the inside of the squash is facing DOWN. Add about 1 inch of water to dish. Microwave on high for 12-15 minutes until skin peels right off the squash and it is soft to touch).
- Add squash, carrot chunks, apple juice and apple to blender/smoothie maker. Completely puree to a smooth creamy texture.
- Add pumpkin, yogurt, spices, honey and brown sugar to mixture. Blend until smooth.
- Serve with a little whipped topping chilled in a glass, or serve hot as a "pumpkin soup".
Delicious AND Nutritious! We loved this! Served it for my daughter's Halloween-themed Sleepover Bday Party. I wanted to sneak something nutritious into the picky-eater guests, and this absolutely fit the bill. The girls had this alongside their ogre eyeballs for breakfast, and I feel a little better about the incipient trick-or-treating! Thank you!