Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Even though the recipe says you can use non alcoholic beer I think that real beer has a better flavor. Remember when you cook that the heat dissipates the alcohol.
- 6 bratwursts
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup peeled chopped apple
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small cabbage, sliced into wedges
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer (non-alcoholic will work)
- salt and pepper
- Place the sausages in a large pan and add 2 cups water.
- Simmer without piercing the sausage until the water is evaporated and the sausages are browned.
- Add the onions and apples - cook till soft.
- Add carrots, cabbage, caraway and the beer.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve with rolls or bread.
These were the best Brats we have ever eaten. I used the new Miller Chill beer for a little something different. We didn't like the caraway seeds and probably won't be using them the next time we make it.
This dish was good, but I think there was a bit too much caraway seed - I would only used half the amount listed if I made this again. The smell of the spice alone was just too overpowering.
Perfect winter night dinner. I threw in a couple of potatoes and only put my cabbage in for the last half hour - I like it crisp. I like the flavor of caraway it seems to give a refreshing flavor. I prepared the recipe ahead of time right up to when you pour in the beer cover & simmer for 1 hour. Eas just turn on 1 hour before dinner Thanks DarkLove for a comfort food dinner