Recipe by Cookin'Diva
I have been making this recipe for years, and it always results in someone asking me for the recipe. I often cut the recipe in half and make it for my family in an 8x8 pan. It serves nicely (not a gooey mess) and is great served warm with vanilla ice cream. A bonus - it's lower in fats and calories.
Top Review by Crystelle
Been trying some different recipes and taking them into work and there was some feedback that they were too sweet so opted for Granny Smiths - they worked out brilliantly. Also since most of my coworkers have a thing about leaving a cake or pie "out" I made them into individual portions using Reynolds baking cups. I'm not sure if it was because of the parsing out of the portions but to fill 24 cups I used one cup less apples and I needed to double the batter and streussel topping recipes. I cooked for the same amount of time and everything came out AWESOME!
- 12 cups apples, peeled and sliced (Macintosh, Jonagold)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup oatmeal (I use Quick Oats)
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 9x13 pan with non-stick spray; preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare APPLES: toss sliced apples with lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cornstarch. Pour apple mixture into prepared pan. BAKE APPLES 10 minutes.
- While apples are baking, combine STREUSEL ingredients; set aside.
- Prepare BATTER: Mix batter dry ingredients in a bowl. When apples are done, whisk in milk and melted butter (batter will thicken if it sits). Immediately pour batter over hot apples; sprinkle streusel on top.
- Return to oven; bake 40-45 minutes or until top is browned and apples are bubbling.
- Notes: 1) This can also be made in two 8x8 pans. 2) When I bake in glass pans, I use 325 degrees. 3) I sometimes toss in 1/2 cup cranberries or raisins to the apple mixture.