Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Trial and Error. She says: i ate this salad six times in two weeks. six. it is that good. and it wasn't just me that loved it, jason said it's one of the best salads he's ever had. in my opinion, the goat cheese makes it. we had ours with fresh honey crisp apples we picked ourselves, but any firm, sweet apple will do. - I have to agree with her about the awesomeness of this salad. You can easily leave out the chicken to make it a side salad for a meal. I also have successfully made this with pears.
for the vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons grainy old fashioned mustard
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
for the salad
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 crisp apples or 2 pears, thinly sliced
- whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl or place them in a mason jar and shake.
- divide the salad greens among four bowls. top each with a chicken breast (optional), 1 ounce crumbled goat cheese, 1 tablespoon almonds, 1 tablespoon cranberries, and half an apple. top with vinaigrette.
I chose this recipe for 2 reasons: 1) I had all the ingredients in the house - all I had to do was remove the chicken breast fillets from the freezer and defrost, and 2) it required minimal cooking. I chose 1 each of apple and pear, deciding to live dangerously and really mix things up. Having said that, I was unable to taste the finished product - my family had this for their lunch. They LOVED this salad. So, this means I will have to make it again when I can eat it. Excellent recipe, sofie!
Awesome salad! I used whole almonds because that's what I had, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. We loved it! Thanks for sharing :)<br/>Made for CQ 2014
Delicious salad! I used both apples and pears because we love them both. The dressing was outstanding. Thank you! Made for Culinary Quest