Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Pork butt is a less-expensive cut, but cooking at a very low temperature ensures a tender, juicy roast, and it dissolves fat and connective tissue, This can also be made in a slow cooker set on high for 30 minutes, then turned down to low for the day, oven cooking time will vary depending on the size of your roast -- I have made this in the past, and it is very good! :)
Top Review by tomato gueen
I wouldn't call this "fall-apart-tender", that to me gives this roast more of a pull pork discription and exactly what I wasen't looking for. I have only made a couple pork roasts in my life and rubbed with spices, and more spices and drown in bbq sauce to hide how dry it was. I followed this recipe to the letter--just cut everything in half since it was 2 lbs, cooked 3 hrs, waited 40 min to cut and poured slightly thickened juices over--but this is soooo juicy you won't use much. And instead of being stringy it was very much slicable. I cut into very thin slices and it held its shape. I would difinitely rename to sunday dinner roast pork
- 1 (4 lb) pork shoulder butt, roast
- whole garlic clove (optional, use as many as desired)
- 1⁄3 cup Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Make small slits all over the roast then insert a whole garlic clove into each slit (this is only optional).
- Place the roast in a greased casserole dish with a lid.
- Sprinkle the roast on all sides with Worcestershire sauce.
- Let sit at room temperature for 1-1/2 hours.
- After 1-1/2 hours spoon any Worcestershire sauce (if any) back on the roast that has accumulated on the bottom of the casserole.
- Using hands press the brown sugar well into the meat on all sides making certain to adhear the sugar to the meat.
- Pour the apple juice into the bottom of the casserole.
- Cover tightly.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Place the roast in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature down to 200 degrees F.
- Roast for about 4 hours or until the meat is falling-apart tender (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the roast).
- Stir the salt and black pepper into the juice (do not omit the salt!).
- Slice meat as desired.