Recipe by Brit Bird
I found this recipe in the booklet that came with my slow cooker (crock pot). Its supposed to be peppered but I opted to marinade my joint overnight instead. I used Karin...'s All Purpose Marinade (Although I used quarter cup sundried tomato infused olive oil and quarter cup chilli infused olive oil instead of regular olive oil). The original recipe uses 8 shallot onions, 4 regular carrots sliced, and 2 parsnips, sliced. But I used red onions, celeriac, and shatanay carrots. I advise you try shatanay carrots as they are so much sweeter than regular ones! I cooked mine for 8 hours on auto and it came out lovely and tender. Please take the gravy granules measurement as an approximation, and add to your taste.
- 1 1⁄4 kg rolled beef (topside with no added fat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2 a celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
- 12 shatanay carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 400 ml just boiled water
- 100 ml red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons gravy mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat slow cooker.
- Heat oil in a large pan (I find a wok is best), and carefully brown beef on all sides, turning with two wooden spoons. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and garlic to the pan and, stirring regularly, cook for 5 mins until the onions are beginning to go soft.
- Transfer the vegetables to warmed crock pot and place the beef on top, push the beef down so it nestles among the vegetables.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the just boiled water, add the wine, oregano, mixed herbs and pepper.
- Pour over the beef, add the bay leaf and cover. Cook on auto for 8-10 hours or low for 10-12 hours.
- Once the beef is cooked, carefully remove from the crock pot and place on a warmed serving platter. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange around the beef. Cover and keep warm.
- For the gravy, ladle the liquid left in the crock pot into a saucepan, stir in the gravy granules and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and savoy cabbage.