Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
These are super wonderful falafels from Anjali Vellody's Food column, Weekend. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup dried fava beans
- 1⁄2 cup chickpeas
- 1⁄2 cup onion, peeled, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, washed and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup dry roasted pine nuts
- fresh ground black pepper
- oil, to deep fry
- 4 -5 pita bread (pronounced as "khaboos" in Hindi)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup tahini sauce
- lettuce leaf, as required
For tahini sauce
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the fava beans in 1 1/2 cups of cold water.
- Set aside for 48 hours, changing water once in a day.
- If the weather is hot, change water twice daily.
- Soak the chickpeas in 1 1/2 cups of cold water for 15 hours.
- Drain beans.
- Remove the skins of the fava beans by taking a handful of beans at a time and rubbing both the palms together making the beans rub against one another in order to loosen the skins.
- Combine the fava beans, chickpeas, chopped onions and garlic in a food processor.
- Grind till you have a fine paste.
- Put it in a bowl.
- Add parsley, cumin, coriander, red chili, salt, pepper, baking soda and pine nuts to the mixture.
- Mix well and knead it nicely.
- Keep aside for half an hour.
- Take a spoonful of the bean paste at a time.
- Shape into patties about 2 inches in diameter.
- Arrange the patties in a plate.
- Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat sufficient oil in a wok.
- Once its hot, gently lower the patties and deep-fry them until well-browned.
- Drain on clean paper towels before serving.
- To prepare the tahini sauce, put the tahini paste and garlic in a blender.
- Process for a few seconds.
- Add lemon juice and water.
- Process the paste well.
- Add salt to taste.
- To serve: Split up a khoubz and place a lettuce leaf in it.
- Place some tomato slices or sliced onions over the lettuce leaf.
- Spread some tahini sauce over the onions.
- Place 2-3 falafels on it.
- Serve hot.