These are super wonderful falafels from Anjali Vellody's Food column, Weekend. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dried fava beans
- 1/2 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup onion, peeled, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup dry roasted pine nuts
- fresh ground black pepper
- oil, to deep fry
- 4 -5 pita bread (pronounced as "khaboos" in Hindi)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup tahini sauce
- lettuce leaf, as required
For tahini sauce
- 1Soak the fava beans in 1 1/2 cups of cold water.
- 2Set aside for 48 hours, changing water once in a day.
- 3If the weather is hot, change water twice daily.
- 4Soak the chickpeas in 1 1/2 cups of cold water for 15 hours.
- 5Drain beans.
- 6Remove the skins of the fava beans by taking a handful of beans at a time and rubbing both the palms together making the beans rub against one another in order to loosen the skins.
- 7Combine the fava beans, chickpeas, chopped onions and garlic in a food processor.
- 8Grind till you have a fine paste.
- 9Put it in a bowl.
- 10Add parsley, cumin, coriander, red chili, salt, pepper, baking soda and pine nuts to the mixture.
- 11Mix well and knead it nicely.
- 12Keep aside for half an hour.
- 13Take a spoonful of the bean paste at a time.
- 14Shape into patties about 2 inches in diameter.
- 15Arrange the patties in a plate.
- 16Keep aside for 30 minutes.
- 17Heat sufficient oil in a wok.
- 18Once its hot, gently lower the patties and deep-fry them until well-browned.
- 19Drain on clean paper towels before serving.
- 20To prepare the tahini sauce, put the tahini paste and garlic in a blender.
- 21Process for a few seconds.
- 22Add lemon juice and water.
- 23Process the paste well.
- 24Add salt to taste.
- 25To serve: Split up a khoubz and place a lettuce leaf in it.
- 26Place some tomato slices or sliced onions over the lettuce leaf.
- 27Spread some tahini sauce over the onions.
- 28Place 2-3 falafels on it.
- 29Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafels With Pine Nuts
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.6
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 157.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: