This has gotten lots of good reviews on foodnetwork. Recipe courtesy Melissa d'Arabian and from her show Ten Dollar Dinners, Episode: Footloose and Fancy-Free Falafel
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley (generous)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro (generous)
- 1 egg (to make vegan use Flax Eggs)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup flour, plus 1/4 cup flour for shaping patties
- vegetable oil, for frying
- lettuce, for garnish
- chopped salted tomato, for garnish
- grated cucumber, for garnish
Creamy White Bean Yogurt Sauce
- 1In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, scallions, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, parsley, cilantro, egg, and lemon juice. Pulse to combine and season with salt. The mixture will not be smooth, but it should not have large chunks.
- 2Add in the baking powder and 1/3 cup of the flour and pulse to just combine. Remove to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 3Remove the chickpea mixture from the refrigerator. Add enough oil to a large saute pan so it reaches 1/2-inch up the sides and heat it over medium-high heat until an inserted thermometer reads 360 degrees F.
- 4Meanwhile, drop spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture onto a plate with 1/4 cup flour. Roll into balls on the floured plate and press gently into patties. Fry in batches of hot oil for about 3 to 4 minutes each side and drain on paper towels.
- 5Serve the falafel on a bed of lettuce with chopped salted tomatoes, grated cucumber and White Bean Yogurt Sauce.
- 6Creamy White Bean Yogurt Sauce:
- 7Puree the white beans, garlic, yogurt, lemon juice, and olive oil in a mini food processor until very smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with falafel or as a salad dressing.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafels (From Ten Dollar Dinners)
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.2
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 48.4 mg
- Sodium 574.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 14.3 g