Recipe by Lene
Dont be tempted to use tinned chick peas for this recipe. It is worth the extra cooking time to use dried and cook them yourself. Serve them in a warm pitta pocket with yogurt and crisp salad ingredients.
Top Review by Tina and Dave
Wonderful, scrummy, yummy....what more can I say?! Left out the egg and just used some cornstarch & water to bind. Made Arabian pita bread #17977 & guacamole #2708 to go with them. Thanks Lene!
- 225 g dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight in water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 egg
- 4 pita breads
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the chick peas and place in a pan, cover with fresh, bring to the boil and boil rapidly for 20 minutes. Drain and place in a food processor with the salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne, garlic, parsley, lemon juice and the egg. Whizz until very finely chopped but not pureed.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celcius. Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 16 balls, then flatten slightly into patties. Spray oil very lightly onyo a baking sheet and arange the falafels evenly spaced apart. Spray lightly oil and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Place 4 falafels inside each warm pitta bread with mixed salad leaves and cherry tomatoes. Serve with yogurt in a seperate bowl to drizzle over the top.