Recipe by GoldsmithLissa
Healthy, vegetarian Mediterranean treat Use whole-wheat pita or lettuce wrap for diabetic or south beach diet version
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely crushed baked corn tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6 inch) pita bread, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onions, sliced and separated into rings
- 1⁄2 cup greens (pref. microgreens)
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 5 ingredients (through salt), stirring well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions and greens.