Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Heart Smart® sandwich that's a low-fat, high fiber bargain. Served in whole wheat pita pockets and topped with a tangy cucumber sauce, your heart (and tastebuds) will love you. Note: the sauce needs to marinate - preferably for 24 hours - so plan ahead.
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar (I like apple cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried dill
- 3 tablespoons grated onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 cups low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 medium potato, nuked and peeled
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (if you don't like heat, use banana pepper or poblano pepper)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced (plan on using the whole bunch, Zaar editor doesn't do BUNCH)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed and well smashed
- 1 tablespoon plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lemon, juice of
BUILDING THE SANDWICH
- 6 whole wheat pita bread, cut in half
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 12 slices tomatoes
- CUCUMBER DRESSING: Mix vinegar, dill, onions and pepper in a bowl.
- Add cucumber slices and marinate overnight.
- Drain; discard liquid. Stir in yogurt. Makes about 4 cups; more than enough for the sandwiches.
- FALAFEL PATTIES: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Microwave potato for about 3 minutes; cool, peel and mash with a fork. Set aside.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat and saute onions, jalapeno and garlic till soft; about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and saute another minute.
- In a large bowl, combine beans with onion mixture; mix well.
- Stir in mashed potato, yogurt, paprika and lemon juice.
- Form into 24 patties using 2 tablespoons mixture for each. (It's easier to spoon 2 tablespoons on baking sheet and form into rounds).
- Place patties on baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes; turn patties over and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Assemble sandwiches by placing 2 patties in each pita half. Top with lettuce and 1 tomato slice. Serve with cucumber dressing.
- Serving = 2 pita halves with 4 patties and toppings.