1/1 Photo of Falafel in Pita W/Roasted Garlic&Caramelized Onion Couscous
1 hr 15 mins
I love falafel! And where has couscous been all my life? This is my second attempt making falafel. The first time was a learning experience (not too good). But this one turned out really good. Next time I will try it with dried chick peas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup self rising flour, plus 2 1/2 tbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, for shaping patties
- canola oil (for frying)
Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- diced tomatoes and cucumber
- pita bread, for sandwich
For the caramelized onion and roasted garlic couscous
- 1For the Falafel:.
- 2In a food processor, add the chickpeas, garlic, onion, egg, lemon juice, parsley, cilantro, cumin, coriander, and cayenne. Pulse about 5 times. Add self rising flower and pulse another 5 times. The mix should not be smooth but not large chunks.
- 3Transfer to a mixing bowl and season with salt. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Remove chickpea mix from refrigerator. Add enough oil to large saute pan to fill it 1/2-inch up the sides. Heat oil on medium heat while you form patties.
- 5Drop spoonfuls of the chickpea mixture onto a plate with 1/4 cup of flour. Roll into balls and press very gently into patties.
- 6When oil is hot, reduce heat to med/low then fry patties in batches for 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- 7Slice the pita bread in half and open to make a pocket. Place 2 to 3 falafels inside and top with cucumbers, tomatoes and tahini yogurt sauce.
- 8For the yogurt tahini sauce:.
- 9Combine all ingredients in food processor. Blend on high speed to make a smooth and creamy sauce.
- 10For the couscous:.
- 11Place garlic cloves, 1 tbs. olive oil and 1/2 teaspoons salt in aluminum foil. Close tightly to make a pouch. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes (you can do this in a toaster oven if you want). When garlic is done, smash with a fork. It should have a paste like consistency.
- 12In large saute pan, heat olive oil on med/low heat. Add onion and 1/2 teaspoons salt reduce heat to low and saute stirring occasionally for about 1/2 hour. Remove from heat.
- 13Cook couscous according to box except (add 1/2 chicken bouillon cube to water). When couscous is done, add the caramelized onion, roasted garlic and parsley. Toss to combine.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafel in Pita W/Roasted Garlic&Caramelized Onion Couscous
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 863.8
- Calories from Fat 239
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 1561.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 131.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.8 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: