Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Norene Gilletz's Pleasures of Your Processor, for Polly
- 1 cup dry chickpeas
- 4 -6 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper or 1 dash coriander
- 6 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Soak chick peas over night in cold water until soft.
- Drop garlic through feed tube while machine is running.
- Process until minced.
- Discard peel.
- Add onion and parsley: process until minced.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until finely ground and smooth, about 20 to 30 seconds, scraping down bowl as necessary, might have to do in two loads.
- Form into 1" balls.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden.
- May be frozen.
These are very good. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. This was my first experience starting with dry chickpeas. I used the package instructions for a quick soak: place chickpeas in a pot and cover with water, bring to a boil, boil 3 min, add a pinch of baking soda, remove from heat, soak 1 hour. I used my blender to make them. They smell great while frying because of the onion. If I make them again I will use cilantro in place of the parsley. My Mother said these are better than any restaurant falafel she's had.