Non-fried, so less guilt. Does not refrigerate or freeze well. Easily duplicated for larger families.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 chili peppers or 1/2 jalapeno pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup cooked chickpeas or 3/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup white basmati rice or 1/2 cup other long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- ground red pepper
- 2 pita bread
- shredded lettuce
- alfalfa sprout
- green pepper
- tahini mustard
- 1Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat until sizzling. Cook the onion and garlic until the onion is wilted and the garlic is golden, about 8 minutes.
- 2Add the jalapeno, and stir several times.
- 3Remove from heat and allow to cool. Next, place the lime juice, onion mixture, chickpeas and rice in the food processor. Process until mixture becomes a smooth puree, stopping to scrape down the sides of the work bowl as needed.
- 4Transfer to a large bowl. Add 1/2 of the bread crumbs. Season to taste with salt, black pepper and red pepper. Mix with a large spoon or your hands until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- 5Start a grill or preheat the broiler. Shape into 3-inch-round patties 1/2-inch thick, adding extra bread crumbs if the patties don't hold their shape. If broiling, place the patties of a broiler pan or cookie sheet lined with lightly oiled aluminum foil. Grill or broil 3 to 5 inches from the heat for 5 to 10 minutes per side or until lightly browned. When one side is done, carefully turn. Check often to prevent burning.
- 6To serve, tuck 2 patties inside a warmed pita pocket along with the condiments of your choice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Falafel Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.3
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 993.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 135.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 21.7 g