Recipe by IngridH
Another recipe from culinary school, and the only falafel recipe I've really ever enjoyed. It's really easy, as most of the work is done by the food processor. These are best served hot, straight out of the fryer.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight and soaking liquid reserved
- 6 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- flour (as needed to adjust consistency)
- oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place beans, onion, garlic, cilantro, coriander, cumin, salt and zest in a food processor and puree.
- Adjust the consistency as needed with flour or the soaking water so that you can form the mixture into golf ball sized patties.
- Heat enough oil in a large heavy pot to comfortably deep fry (or use a deep fryer, if you have one).
- Fry patties until golden brown.
- Drain, salt, and serve immediately.