Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe out of my Whole Foods Diabetic Cookbook. The falafals are baked, not fried. To top my falafel off, I made a vegan sour cream garlic sauce, plus I added salasa fresca and tabasco sauce to top it all off. The flavors were delicious together.
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (I used canned organic)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup onion (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Using a large baking dish, add two teaspoons of oil and then put it into your oven while it is preheating at 350'F.
- Combine the cooked chick peas, lemon juice and chopped onion in a food processor and process until you have a smooth stiff paste.
- Remove the paste once done and put into a medium bowl. Add the flour, wheat germ, parsley, sesame seeds, pepper and garlic powder. Mix it all up together and form into 20 patties.
- Place the falafel patties in the preheated dish and cook for 15 minutes, turning over to brown the other side 1/2 way through.
- Put into pita pockets and add your favorite toppings.
- Bon Appetit.