Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern fast food. Vendors sell it on the streets in Cairo. It is served as a sandwich stuffed in Pita Bread with lettuce, tomatoes and tahini. In Cairo McDonalds has their own version; they call it McFalafel of course.
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas or 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups oil (for frying)
- Place all ingredients except frying oil in a food processor and process to a thick chunky paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of hot oil until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot in pita pockets or any flat bread, along with lettuce and tomatoes,and top with yogurt or tahini.
This recipe uses canned chickpeas successfully. The flavor is good, it's easy to prepare, and I am tempted to make it often, because it was easy and really good!