Recipe by Pastryismybiz
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern fast food. Vendors sell it on the streets in Cairo. It is served as a sandwich stuffed in Pita Bread with lettuce, tomatoes and tahini. In Cairo McDonalds has their own version; they call it McFalafel of course.
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas or 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except frying oil in a food processor and process to a thick chunky paste.
- Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
- Fry in 2 inches of hot oil until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serve hot in pita pockets or any flat bread, along with lettuce and tomatoes,and top with yogurt or tahini.