Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
A Middle Eastern delight. I don't know how authentic this recipe is but it is my favorite.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Never thought I'd make a falafel recipe because I don't have a deep fat fryer and don't like to eat high fat foods. So I read the reviews and decided to make this by cooking it at 400F for 20 minutes. It turned out terrific! It browned very nicely. Since I didn't have a food processor, I used my blender and blended it in batches. It wasn't the optimal tool, but it worked. Since I was baking them I added the 2 tbsp oil to the falafel mix. It wasn't too much oil, and I think it helped it hold its shape. I really loved the yogurt in this recipe. It may have been tastier with a tahini sauce, but with the yogurt it was lower fat. I'll be making this again! BF loved it.
- 4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 clove garlic, halved
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 59.14 ml coarsely chopped of fresh mint
- 425.24 g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 118.29 ml plain dried breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml sea salt
- 4.92 ml Tabasco sauce
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 4 pita pockets, warmed
- shredded lettuce
- chopped tomato
- sliced onion
Herbed Cucumber Yogurt
- 236.59 ml plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1 kirby cucumber, seeded and chopped
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Herbed Cucumber Yogurt: Add all yogurt ingredients to a mixing bowl; whisk to combine; cover and chill until ready to serve.
- To make Falafel: Add the scallions, garlic, cilantro, and mint to the container of a food processor; pulse until mixture is finely chopped.
- Add the chickpeas, breadcrumbs, cumin, baking powder, salt, and Tabasco; continue to pulse until the batter has the consistency of cooked oatmeal.
- Lightly oil hands and form mixture into 4 burger shaped patties.
- Spray each patty lightly with cooking spray.
- Let the olive oil get hot (but not smoking) in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry patties for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer cooked patties to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Put cooked patty into warmed pita pocket with shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and sliced onions.
- Serve with Herbed Cucumber Yogurt.