Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the April 2007 issue of Real Simple magazine. The recipe capitalizes on the convenience of frozen French toast to create this rich and decadent classic sandwich. I like my Monte Cristos served with a little cup of raspberry preserves to dip or spread on each bite.
- 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 (6 count) boxes frozen French toast (12 slices)
- 1 (9 ounce) packagethinly sliced ham
- 1 (9 ounce) packagethinly sliced turkey
- 12 slices swiss cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spread the mustard on the (still frozen) French toast.
- Divide the ham and turkey evenly among 6 pieces of toast and top with 2 slices of cheese.
- Top with remaining 6 slices of toast to sandwich together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Cook each sandwich in the skillet until brown, 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the toast is heated through, about 4 minutes.