This is from the April 2007 issue of Real Simple magazine. The recipe capitalizes on the convenience of frozen French toast to create this rich and decadent classic sandwich. I like my Monte Cristos served with a little cup of raspberry preserves to dip or spread on each bite.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spread the mustard on the (still frozen) French toast.
- Divide the ham and turkey evenly among 6 pieces of toast and top with 2 slices of cheese.
- Top with remaining 6 slices of toast to sandwich together.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Spread 1/2 tablespoon of butter on the top and bottom of each sandwich.
- Cook each sandwich in the skillet until brown, 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the toast is heated through, about 4 minutes.