Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This roast lamb recipe uses a yogurt paste with a spice blend to marinate the meat. I marinated a half- deboned leg of lamb overnight with the yogurt paste. The recipe is from "Saudi Arabia Magazine", an official publication of the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Spring 1997. The website where I found it is http://www.ummah.net/family/recipes/fakhitha.html
- Clean the meat, slash in several places and put in a baking dish.
- Mix the spices, salt, garlic, yogurt, tomato paste, mayonnaise and oil.
- Spread half of the mixture over the meat.
- Cover with foil, and put in the oven at 350 degrees until the meat is cooked.
- Just before serving, pour the remaining yogurt on top of the meat.
- I marinated the meat overnight. Weigh the leg of lamb to determine the amount of time it will need in the oven for rare, medium, or well-done.
- I like to cook roasts at lower temperatures for a long time, so I veered off from the given recipe, and cooked it for 3 hours at 250 Fahrenheit. If I had had more time, I would probably have cooked it 4 hours at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The meat was tender due to both the yogurt and the long cooking. My leg of lamb was 1.3 kilos, or 2.8 pounds. Serve with flavored basmati rice.
This was easy and very good!! I've cooked a lot of middle eastern food and have never seen mayo in any recipe so I left it out as it doesn't agree with me. Also I cut down on the olive oil. Cooked the lamb low and slow. Everyone loved it. I'll be making this again. Thanks for posting the recipe Mme.