Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Greeks often combine lentils with pasta and rice or eat them cold in simple summer salads such as this one. From Modern Greek. Time to cook includes 30 minutes marinating time.
- Place lentils, bay leaves and 2 tbsp of olive oil in a saucepan.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil; simmer for 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked.
- Drain in a colander and allow to cool.
- Place in a serving bowl, add orange juice and remaining 6 tbsp olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir mixture well to combine and marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, mix in the sliced onion and orange segments.
Lentils and orange make such a wonderful pairing. I have always limited my lentil intake to tossing a handful into soups and stews, so this was a nice change of pace for me. The fresh orange juice, I think, was the secret here. And the orange segments gave it such a sweet cirtus bounce and the onions livened up the lentils with a zesty "bite". I enjoyed it. Thanks, Dreamer in Ontario.