Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This a simple recipe that I learned from watching my mother, Stamatina. This soup is rich in iron and taste.
- 1 lb dry lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 idaho potato, chopped
- 2 -3 carrots, chopped
- 1 -2 tomatoes, chopped
- 6 -7 garlic cloves, sliced finely in slivers
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- First discard any unidentified objects from your lentils and then rinse.
- In a large pot on medium high heat, you will add the olive oil, your onions and carrots. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Add the potato and tomatoes and sauté until the tomato releases some juices.
- Next add the bay leaves and lentils. Stir and coat lentils with the juices. Add some more salt.
- Next add the tomato sauce (if you want the soup to have some body), garlic slices, and water. Make sure to completely submerge your lentils in the water.
- Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Let it simmer covered for an hour and a half to 2 hours. Stir and season occasionally.
- Also make sure to add more water if necessary as you are cooking, especially if the lentils thicken too soon.
- Eat to the thickness of your liking.
- A perfect condiment is a splash of vinegar and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
It's good but it's not the taste I was looking for. I think that for me, there is too much tomatoes. Maybe I would try without the tomato sauce. It's a very healthy soup. Thanks :)
The BEST I've tried GREEK FAKES. Very tasty, good and healthy. I even whipped a bowl for my lil' one in the blender, and loved it! THANKS CHEF Kefalonitissa
Perfect with a small change it was exactly what I was looking for. I used a good quality tomato paste for the tomato sauce and less tomato (I used one or two canned stewed tomatoes, chopped, which are very small plum tomatoes) I used small green lentils, an unrefined extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. I served it with some more of the very good quality olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice. I will definitely be making this again.