Recipe by Nelly
I can't remember who gave me this years ago, but I have made it many, many times in its different guises
- 1 lb potato, peeled and chopped into 2 inch chunks
- 1 lb leek, trimmed and all the white part and some of the green sliced into 2 inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chunked
- 2 ounces butter
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 3⁄4 pint vegetable stock (Cube will do) or 3⁄4 pint chicken stock (Cube will do)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives or 1 bunch dried chives, would do, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Put potatoes, leeks, onion, butter and the half-pint of water in a large microwaveable bowl.
- Cover and microwave on high for 20 minutes.
- Have the hot stock ready and add to the cooked vegetables.
- Cook for a further 5 minutes, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend till smooth in blender.
- This recipe is a real work-horse; you can ring the changes using other vegetables, like celery, carrot, etc.
- Just use them instead of the leeks and you'll have'cream of celery','cream of carrot'whatever.
- You can make it part-chunky or smooth in the blender.