Recipe by pamela t.
Delicious and good for you, this eggplant recipe will taste and look like mini pizzas but without all the calories! Choose a longer thinner eggplant for best results—not a short, fat one.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 cup diced tomato, drained
- 1 cup mushroom, diced, drained
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant and cut it into rounds the short way (width-wise) slices should be about ¼ “ thick.
- Place slices on paper towels. Salt the eggplant and set aside. This allows the eggplant to “sweat.”.
- Mix the two cheeses together. Set aside.
- Meanwhile mix pizza sauce with basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- After 10 minutes, use a paper towel to dab at eggplant. The slices should not be wet.
- Arrange eggplant rounds on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Ladle a spoonful of pizza sauce on each slice. Spread out almost to the edges (like you would a pizza).
- Top with a few pieces of mushroom and tomatoes; top with cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350F about 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Keep an eye on this as ovens vary.
- Cut basil into chiffonade (long, thin strips) and top each “pizza”.
- If desired, build your “pizza” creation using whatever veggies you prefer. This recipe was designed for a contest, hence the ingredients of canned tomatoes and mushrooms.