Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Delicious and good for you, this eggplant recipe will taste and look like mini pizzas but without all the calories! Choose a longer thinner eggplant for best results—not a short, fat one.
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1 cup diced tomato, drained
- 1 cup mushroom, diced, drained
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Peel eggplant and cut it into rounds the short way (width-wise) slices should be about ¼ “ thick.
- Place slices on paper towels. Salt the eggplant and set aside. This allows the eggplant to “sweat.”.
- Mix the two cheeses together. Set aside.
- Meanwhile mix pizza sauce with basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- After 10 minutes, use a paper towel to dab at eggplant. The slices should not be wet.
- Arrange eggplant rounds on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Ladle a spoonful of pizza sauce on each slice. Spread out almost to the edges (like you would a pizza).
- Top with a few pieces of mushroom and tomatoes; top with cheese mixture.
- Bake at 350F about 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted. Keep an eye on this as ovens vary.
- Cut basil into chiffonade (long, thin strips) and top each “pizza”.
- If desired, build your “pizza” creation using whatever veggies you prefer. This recipe was designed for a contest, hence the ingredients of canned tomatoes and mushrooms.
We made this tasty treat for your Football Week 4 victory. Very enjoyable & easy. Wanted an easy snack for watching the games & this fit the bill. Again, Congrats Taz
Very tasty! We enjoyed these with some changes. My eggplant gave my 17 slices. I had 1/3 cup sauce leftover. Giving a generous amount to each slice. So much that I skipped the diced tomatoes. As for the sauce I used all the basil, oregano but cut back on the garlic to 1/2 teaspoon and the salt and pepper I cut back to 1/4 teaspoon each. The ingredients called for 1 tablespoon basil and directs to put in the sauce which I did and then saw it called for again as a garnish. If it wasn't` for the down pouring rain I would have gone back out for more. 1/2 cup of mushrooms was plenty. I did use all the cheese the recipe called for. As I was making these I thought should I roast the slices first? Thinking they would be tough and not cooked through. As it baked the sauce did fill the pan and and ended up stewing the eggplant. I did have to bake 20 minutes and they were still a touch tough. We found this salty. I suggest skipping it totally. The grated cheese has enough salt. I would have given this 4 stars but the amounts are so off. We found this not to be pizza (not being a crust at all) but more like eggplant parmesan. You do need a fork and knife. We enjoyed as our meal with nothing else. Thanks
This was really terrific in its simplicity. I would certainly make this again. Aaaarrrrh!