Recipe by DeeCooks
I only know my Italian friends love this and so do we. It freezes extremely well and is easy to make up a huge batch for parties or future dinners. Anything this easy and healthy is something I cook a lot of! With salad and garlic bread, it's dinner in short work. Good additions are chopped onions, fresh Italian parsley, chopped zucchini, roasted red peppers--all sorts of things! But that's the fun of soups and stews, right?
- 2 (14 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 lb Italian sausage, remove the casing
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 4 -6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth (canned is fine)
- 8 ounces small shell pasta (about two generous cups of shells or elbow macaroni)
- 1 -2 cup greens, cleaned chopped (such as spinach, kale or chard leaves)
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese (parmagiana) or 1 1⁄2 cups romano cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Strain the liquid from the canned beans into a blender (or use a hand blender right in the pot.) Add 1 cup beans and puree until smooth.
- Add sausages, rosemary, garlic, and red pepper to a large pot. Sauté sausages mashing them up, until cooked.
- Mix in tomato paste, tomatoes, bean puree, remaining beans, broth, greens, and pasta.
- Simmer until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Mix in 1/4 cup cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Serve with remaining cheese.
- It's very freezable, but thickens as it stands. Add more broth if you want it thinner.