This recipe uses those fake crabmeat "sealegs" you find in the grocery store. I can hear the purists out there groaning already. Fake crab is actually made with real fish, but seasoned to taste like crab. My daughter has a particular fondness for sealegs, and this is one of my favorite ways of preparing it for her. I don't think fake crab tastes much like real crab at all and highly recommend you do give real crab a try sometime. But for those times when you don't have any real crab, why not give this a try? It doesn't matter if you use "flake style" or "chunks" or "legs" in this recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) package imitation crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup Miracle Whip (regular or light) or 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 hamburger buns or 4 other soft rolls
- 4 large lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- Drop fake crab into a food processor (or one of those hand crank food processing bowls) and pulse just a few seconds- to break up the crab into small chunks (don't go overboard).
- Add Miracle Whip and pulse (or hand crank) another couple of seconds until crab is minced and all is blended.
- Stir in finely chopped celery and red onion (do this by hand or you will end up with mush).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Serve on a soft bun with lettuce.