I love these crab cakes, and I have always used the fake crab in them. Fake crab is actually made from real fish, only it has been shaped and seasoned to resemble crabmeat. I originally saw these prepared on an episode of Calling All Cooks on Food Network, however when I tried the recipe from their site, there were many errors. This is the version I came up with after watching the episode several times and my own personal tests in my kitchen. The amount of oil I used to brown the cakes before baking was minimal - like 1 teaspoonful. These were delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces imitation crabmeat, minced finely
- 1/2 cup celery, diced finely
- 1/4 cup carrot, grated finely
- 1/2 small red onion, diced finely (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- salt, to taste
- 1/2-1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/3 cups dry breadcrumbs, plus extra for coating
- canola oil, as needed
For the Sauce
- 1Combine crabcake ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl,adding bread crumbs last to bind.
- 2Roll mixture into 3 oz cakes and then roll in some extra bread crumbs to coat.
- 3Place in freezer for 1 hour.
- 4Saute in just a bit of oil in a hot nonstick skillet until each cake is golden brown on both sides(1 minute per side), then bake in preheated 350 F oven for 5 minutes.
- 5Sauce: Mix together in a small bowl and chill well.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fake Crab Crabby Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 266.3
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 13.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 39.3 mg
- Sodium 751.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: