Chili made with texturized vegetable protein. Easy, spicy, versatile and healthy. You can add beans if desired.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups textured vegetable protein
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, carroes and bell pepper. Saute until onion is limp. Add the garlic and mix. Add the TVP and fry for a few seconds until it looks browned.
- Add the tomatoes, the broth, the lime juice and the cumin and oregano. Bring to a boil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the sugar if desired and lower heat. Cook until the vegetables are tender. Serve hot.
Very very nice chili with great spice! You really could not tell that it was made with TVP and not meat. I like that fire roasted tomatoes are used here bc that gives it a very authentic, smokiness that pairs well with the cumin. Lime juice is essential here too for a bright touch that adds a zing to the flavor. I did not use the sugar but think it would be great here too. Thanks Mami!