Prep 23 mins
Cook 5 mins
I saw this recipe on 30 Minute Meals by Rachael Ray on the Food Network. It looked so good I had to try it out. I have to say, it tastes as good as it looks! It really does only take 30 minutes, maybe less once you get used to making it and don't have to take the time to look at the recipe. On the show, she makes her own tomato sauce, but I just used a jar sauce, which takes less time and tastes just as good.
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I use Bertoli marinara sauce with Burgundy wine)
- 1 lb ziti rigate pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 cup sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
- Put pasta water on to boil. Add salt and pasta to boiling water and
- cook until pasta is "Al Dente" (a little chewy). While pasta cooks,
- melt butter in a small pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, then cook 1
- minute, adding salt, pepper and nutmeg to flour. Add milk and bring
- sauce to a bubble. Reduce for 5 minutes. Turn on low heat and add shredded
- cheeses to sauce and stir until cheese is melted.
- 2. Drain pasta and transfer to a large casserole dish. Pour tomato
- sauce over pasta and toss until pasta is evenly coated. Pour cheese sauce
- over pasta. Cover the top with sliced fresh mozzarella. Place dish under
- broiler for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is brown and bubbly.
This was ok for dinner, but was inedible for lunch the next day.
okay, but too creamy for us.
This was great! My 4 year old had two helpings and asked for thirds!!! I put into a 9x13 pan and used mini-ziti pasta. Also used shredded mozzarella, as it is what I had on hand (and more than a cup because we are cheese-a-holics).