Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
From Cooking Light magazine. You can use the pre-chopped onion and peppers if you like, to make this quicker. Garnish these burgers with your favorite toppings....tomatoes, lettuce, onion, etc.
- 1⁄4 cup tomatillo salsa
- 2 tablespoons avocados, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 slices white bread
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning mix, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg white
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the tomatillo salsa, avocado, and cilantro in a small bowl; set aside.
- Place bread slices in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1 cup.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat and spray with nonstick spray.
- Add onion and bell peppers; sauté for 5 min or until tender.
- Stir in 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning and 1/8 tsp salt. Cool.
- Combine breadcrumbs, onion mixture, remaining 1 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning, remaining 1/8 tsp salt, tomato paste, turkey, and egg white in a large bowl.
- Using damp hands, divide turkey mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 3/4-inch thick patty.
- Heat pan over medium heat and recoat with nonstick spray.
- Add patties and cook for 4 min on each side or until done.
- Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun, top with 1 1/2 tbsp of the salsa mixture and top half of the bun.