This cheesy quesadilla is packed with crunchy red and green peppers. Plus, we've added a touch of cilantro and lime to heighten its fresh Mexican flavor. Budget dinner price: $0.43 per serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 medium sweet red peppers or 1/2 medium green sweet pepper, seeded and cut into bite-size strips
- 1/2 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fresh serrano pepper, halved, seeded
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 24 inches white corn tortillas
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (2 ounces)
- 2 thin slices tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
- light sour cream (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- lime wedge (optional)
- 1In a large skillet cook sweet pepper, onion, and serrano pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Remove from heat.
- 2Lightly coat one side of each tortilla with cooking spray. On the uncoated side of two of the tortillas, divide half of the cheese. Top with onion mixture, tomato slices, the 1 tablespoon cilantro, and the remaining cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, coated sides up.
- 3Heat a very large skillet or griddle over medium heat. Cook quesadillas for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until cheese melts and tortillas are lightly browned. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm and, if desired, with sour cream, additional cilantro and lime wedges.
- 5*Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare skin does touch the peppers, wash immediately, especially around your nails well with soap and warm water.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fajita-Style Quesadillas
Serving Size: 1 (62 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 47.1
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.2 mg
- Sodium 40.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white corn tortillas