This makes a beautiful layered Fajita Salad. Arrange the ingredients in a glass bowl - to show off the tiers. Very simple yet elegant. From Cuisine.
For the Dressing
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons yellow onions, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile in adobo, minced (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Flank Steak
- 1 lb flank steak, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (for searing)
For The Salad
- 1 (10 ounce) bagmixed romaine lettuce or 1 (10 ounce) bagletttuce salad greens
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup corn chips, coarsely crumbled
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained,rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, sliced
Garnish for Salad
- sour cream
- Combine ingredients for dressing in a small bowl.
- Remove 1/4 cup for marinating flank steak; set aside.
- Marinate steak in 1/4 cup dressing for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Chill if marinating the steak longer than 30 minutes, otherwise it may be marinated at room temperature.
- Prepare ingredients for salad, keeping components separate.
- Heat oil for searing the steak in a large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Remove steak from marinade (discard the excess); season with salt and pepper.
- Sear steak on both sides until medium-rare, 3-4 minutes per side.
- Transfer meat to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes, then thinly slice steak against the grain with a sharp knife.
- To assemble, layer half the greens in a deep glass bowl (a 12-cup trifle bowl is perfect).
- On the lettuce, layer half of each of the tomatoes, cheese, chips, beans, cilantro, scallions, and steak slices.
- Drizzle with half the dressing, then layer the rest of the ingredients.
- Pile the other half of the steak slices in the center, and drizzle remaining dressing on top.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and serve.
- Makes about 10 cups.
This is a great salad! Unfortunately I didnt have the chipotle, but I am sure that would have made it even more amazing. The dressing has great complex flavor, very good. I think it would be good with some chopped up avacado, maybe 1/2 can of corn. A big winner in our house!
Mexican steak salad with a great dressing! Just wonderful!
Wow was this ever a wonderful salad...the dressing makes it, I doubled it and I am so glad I did. The only thing I changed is I used 1 tsp. diced up poblano pepper instead of chipotle and it still was out of this world....