Recipe by Shuzbud
I was trying to find a healthy, flavourful meal and this hit the spot. The topping is not quite so healthy but the crushed nachos give the meal a well-balanced flavour.
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 large chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon oil (or cooking spray for a healthier option)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3⁄4 cup corn
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 cups mild salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese
- 2 ounces nacho chips (should produce 1/2 cup crumbs)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
- Start boiling the rice in 2 cups of water, covered. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a skillet. Add the diced chicken and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the 1/2 cup water and fajita seasoning.
- Add the diced onion, green bell pepper, corn and garlic.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the chicken and vegetables are cooked and the liquid has mostly reduced.
- Add the salsa to the chicken mixture in the pan and stir.
- When the rice is cooked and has absorbed all the liquid, add the rice to the chicken salsa mixture and stir. Pour into a 10x6 or equivalent baking tray.
- Top with 1 cup of the cheese.
- Crush the nachos into crumbs and scatter evenly over the cheese.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until bubbling.
- Serve and enjoy!