Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family and I got flooded out of our house after Tropical Storm Lee and while repairs were being made, we relocated our family to our camper. I only had a few things to cook with (no oven or stove top) so I came up with this casserole that can be made in an electric skillet. It has all the flavor of a fajita in a simple casserole! If you can't find the cheese soup mix, you can use a packet of cheese sauce from a box of mac and cheese (and it will probably be cheaper!)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut in half width-wise and then cut into strips
- 1 medium onion, cut in half width-wise and then cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet fajita seasoning mix (McCormick makes one)
- 1 (15 ounce) canpetite diced tomatoes, lightly drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn, fully drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packetpowdered cheese soup mix (Concord Food makes one)
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used Success 10-minute boil-in-bag rice)
- sour cream (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Begin making rice according to package directions.
- Heat electric skillet to 300 (or medium).
- Brown ground beef in skillet until no longer pink; drain. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet.
- Add peppers and onions. Saute until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to 200 (or low).
- Add beef, water and fajita mix to skillet. Stir well to combine.
- Add tomatoes and corn. Stir to combine. Cover and allow to simmer.
- Mix cheese soup mix and milk until lumps are gone. You want a saucy, but not soupy, consistency so if it seems too thick, add another splash of milk and stir.
- Add butter and microwave for 1 minute. Stir.
- Stir cheese soup mix into beef mixture.
- When rice is finished cooking, stir rice into beef/cheese mixture.
- Serve with hot sauce and sour cream.