Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A simple, quick side dish with a flavor similar to peppers in fajitas.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 1 green sweet pepper
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- If you can not find 3 different colors of peppers, use what you can find, as long as they're sweet peppers.
- Wash and remove the core and seeds from peppers; slice peppers lengthwise into 1/2" wide strips; if you cut them too narrow, they'll go limp before they brown.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot for several minutes over high heat; (I use my dutch oven).
- Add oil, swirl to coat bottom of pot.
- Add garlic, then peppers.
- Keep the heat high and stir frequently with a wooden spoon-a spatter-screen is helpful to keep oil contained while it cooks- it should sizzle and snap as it cooks or the heat is too low.
- You want the peppers' skins to get brown patches;cook until tender-crisp.
- Sprinkle with salt, stir and serve.