Recipe by MsLizze
I got this recipe from my best friend, who got it from her friend... Well, you get the idea. Anyway, this is the BEST flan I have ever had. It is very creamy/smooth with a delicate flavor.
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
Caramelized Sugar Topping
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- You need two pans for this, preferably round. One to hold the water bath, and the other to hold the flan about 8" or 9". The flan pan needs to fit inside the water bath pan.
- A trick that I learned recently is to line the water bath pan with a towel before pouring the water into it. (Make sure the water covers the towel.) This will keep the flan pan from slipping around on you, and the water will keep the towel from burning.
- Heat oven to 375°F Place a large round pan with 1/2" water in oven to heat up.
- Place the 1/4 cup sugar in a smaller round pan that is stove-top and oven safe. Set over high heat on burner until caramelized, then set aside. Optionally, you can prepare the caramel in a saucepan, and then immediately pour the caramel into the flan pan that you wish to use and set aside.
- Mix all of the custard ingredients in a blender.
- Pour the custard mixture over the caramelized sugar, place into water bath, and bake about 40 minutes until set and lightly brown.
- Cool 10 minutes on wire rack, then invert onto a plate and cool in refrigerator.
- This can also be made in several ramekins, but the cook time will need to be adjusted.